Using a generator to get a proper power supply is always costly. But it can put you in a worse situation if your generator consumers more fuel and produces less power. Considering the fact, we have come up with a list of the best portable propane generator that will offer you peace of mind by providing more power with less fuel consumption.
In our list, we have included the generators of different brands with a variable price range. The higher the price, the more power you get. Other than the price variety and a few other factors, all the models can give you incredible performance with total satisfaction. Before dive into the full review, let’s know about how much efficient propane generators are and what types of benefits they offer.
Are Propane Generators More Efficient?
A propane generator is more efficient as propane comes almost half the price of gasoline. So you get a 50% fuel cost savings when you run your generator on propane. Apart from the cost-efficient characteristic of propane, it also has some other mentionable benefits. If you are willing to know other benefits of a propane generator, you should read the next part.
Benefits Of Propane Generator
The propane generators offer a lot of benefits to the users as well as the environment. People always prefer to have a dual fuel generator with the option of using propane because of these benefits. So let’s now get to know what are the benefits you will get from a propane generator:
- A propane generator will make your fuel cost almost half compared to other fuel options.
- Propane has an infinite shelf life, while gasoline or other fuel has only a few hours.
- Propane burns cleaner than other fuels, so a propane generator is more environment-friendly.
- A propane generator produces less noise so you can have peace with this generator.
- A propane generator reduces the difficulty of storing fuel as propane is easier to store.
Note: In the above part, we have only focused on the benefits of a propane generator. But if you want to know the details of the advantages of an inverter generator, you can go through the article here.
Table of Content:
Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Generator Portable Generator
Rainier R12000DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Champion 3800-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator
Duromax XP5500EH Dual Fuel 5500 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
Sportsman Dual Fuel Powered Portable Generator
5 Best Portable Propane Generator Reviews 2020
Every user has their own needs and preferences. That’s why different brands come with various portable propane generators focusing on the needs of users. Not all the brands brought you generators with the same features. But most of the generators offer similar features except for a few differences. So it would be better for you if you check out all the generator brands and match your needs. So let’s get started to know the details of every model and choose the best one for you.
1. Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Generator-9500 Rated 12500 Peak Watts
If you look for more power and comparatively a longer period of power backup, then we would suggest you try Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Generator. The running wattage power of the generator is 9500 watts and peak time wattage power is 12500 watts on gas. It also provides 8500 running watts and 11200 peak watts on propane.
The fuel tank of this portable propane generators for home use can hold comparatively more fuel that is up to 6.6 gallons. So you get a constant power supply for a longer time of up to 17.5 hours on 25% load. The fuel tank of this generator includes fuel gauge so you can easily have the idea of the availability of fuel.
The engine body of the unit is made of long durable cast iron sleeve, so you don’t have any tension about the longevity of this generator. The engine is of the special edition Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine that has a high power of 457cc to run almost everything in your home at the same time.
- All the outlets of the generator come with rubber covers that ensure additional safety and protection.
- The automatic low oil shut off switch stops the generator when low oil level is detected.
- The key fob of the unit will help you remotely start the unit from up to 109 yards.
- With the electric start push button, you can easily start the generator anytime.
- It also offers additional accessories such as digital hour meter, battery charger, oil funnel, tool kit, etc.
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K8KDC7Z/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B08K8KDC7Z&linkCode=as2&tag=ptg02122021-20&linkId=3b1047e55696d9bb23b87d8ece551256″ target=”blank” background=”#ef312d” size=”10″ center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: external-link” rel=”sponsored nofollow ”]Check Amazon Price[/su_button]
2. Rainier R12000DF Dual Fuel (Gas and Propane) Portable Generator with Electric Start
Rainier R12000DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator is specially designed to provide you better portability though it’s one of the largest portable propane generators available in the market. This is a truly powerful generator that can give you a continuous power backup in your home for almost everything you have.
The peak time power of this dual-fuel generator is 12000 watts, and running time power is 9500 watts on gasoline. If you run the unit on propane, it will deliver you 10800 watts in peak time and 8550 watts in running time. So you can keep yourself in peace during the operation of the generator.
It comes with a convenient one-touch power switch so you can start the unit easily with a single touch. It also includes a backup recoil start option so you can try this while you are not willing to start the generator with the power switch. Once you start the generator, you will get power backup for up to 17 hours on a 25% load.
- It comes with convenient wheels, and two foam grip handles, so you get better portability.
- The generator is made of heavy-duty materials that ensure higher durability.
- The capability of the fuel tank is comparatively higher, with 6.6 gallons capacity.
- The fuel tank includes fuel gauge, so you get the benefit of seeing the fuel level.
- It includes an automatic low oil shut down switch that stops the unit automatically when it comes to low fuel levels.
[su_button url=”#” target=”blank” background=”#ef312d” size=”10″ center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: external-link” rel=”sponsored nofollow ”]Out Of Stock[/su_button]
3. Champion 3800-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator with Electric Start
Champion 3800-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator is an excellent unit to own because of several useful reasons. Though the running watts of this generator is 3800 watts, the starting watts increase to 4750 watts. As a result, you don’t have any problem to start your required appliances and devices simultaneously.
The unit includes a 224cc powerful and reliable engine that you can start with a push-button electric start with a single touch. The model runs on both gasoline and propane, so you get cost-efficient benefits by altering the fuels. You can use the fuel that is cheap and more available to you.
The fuel tank of the generator can hold 3.4 gallons of fuel. With this small amount of fuel, you can get a constant power supply for up to 10.5 hours on propane. On the other hand, it can provide you a stable power supply for up to 9 hours on gasoline. That means, with a single fuel tank refill, you get a longer back up.
Champion 3800-Watt Features:
- The unit is made of highly durable cast iron sleeve that ensures better longevity.
- The electric and recoil start option makes your job easier to start up the unit.
- It includes a safety fuel selector switch that stops the unit in the event of a low fuel level.
- It’s incredibly portable with the folding handle and wheels with the never-flat tires.
- It contains a propane hose and battery.
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V7Z3LDG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B07V7Z3LDG&linkCode=as2&tag=ptg02122021-20&linkId=637f8ceb3a0240a026b08d167591d643″ target=”blank” background=”#ef312d” size=”10″ center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: external-link” rel=”sponsored nofollow ”]Check Amazon Price[/su_button]
4. Duromax XP5500EH Dual Fuel 5500 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
Duromax XP5500EH Dual Fuel 5500 Watts Portable Generator is for those who look for a generator that can adequately provide the required power supply for an average to a little larger home. This is not only a propane gas generator home use unit but also equally effective for any Jobsite, outdoor events, or party.
The unit is suitable for your mid-size home. It can deliver 5500 watts starting power and 4500 watts running power. It provides not only the power but also the peace of mind. You run this generator on either gasoline or propane according to your convenience and cost-effectiveness.
The fuel tank capacity of this unit is 3.9 gallons. Because of this, you get the assurance of a longer power backup without any interruption. The body of the generator is constructed by heavy-duty metal that ensures durability. So if you own this generator, you can spend year after year with a single unit.
Duromax XP5500EH Features:
- The next generation Duro Max engine has 225 cc capacity to run a lot of things in your home.
- You can switch to any fuel anytime without any difficulty.
- The wheels and convenient handles make the unit superbly portable.
- The starting of the generator is electric, so you don’t have any difficulty to run the unit.
- The power supply by this unit is stable and safe for your appliances, devices, and power tools.
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR3N1YX/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01MR3N1YX&linkCode=as2&tag=ptg02122021-20&linkId=507c14de01950680b34f639b66b72212″ target=”blank” background=”#ef312d” size=”10″ center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: external-link” rel=”sponsored nofollow ”]Check Amazon Price[/su_button]
5. Sportsman GEN4000DF, 3500 Running Watts/4000 Starting Watts, Dual Fuel
With the Sportsman GEN4000DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator, you get the power and flexibility to run your essential appliances, devices, and tools conveniently. The model provides 4000 watts starting power and 3500 watts running power so you can connect almost everything in your home for power backup.
The dual-fuel feature of this generator will give you the freedom to switch between the fuels of gasoline and propane as per your preference. If using propane results in less fuel cost, then you can use it in your generator. If propane is not available, you can use gasoline. The main point is you have benefits of fuel choice.
The fuel tank of this generator can hold 3.6 gallons of fuel that can give you a constant power backup for up to 10 hours. You will hardly find out any generator that can offer such a longer backup with such little fuel consumption. This characteristic has made this unit one of the most efficient portable generators in the market.
Sportsman GEN4000DF Features:
- The engine power of the generator is 212 cc, which means you get a powerful electricity backup.
- With the recoil start, you can easily start up this generator without any effort.
- It provides backup for up to 10 hours on gasoline and up to 12 hours on LPG on the 50% load.
- The operation by this generator is very quiet, so no one gets disturbed by the noise.
- It includes a propane fuel hose that contains a regulator to offer you extra convenience.
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014EXW3YO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B014EXW3YO&linkCode=as2&tag=ptg02122021-20&linkId=f4bb9279b845f73743b35b8b0c13055e” target=”blank” background=”#ef312d” size=”10″ center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: external-link” rel=”sponsored nofollow ”]Check Amazon Price[/su_button]
How To Choose The Right Portable Propane Generator?
In our list of the best portable propane generator, we have placed all the models considering some important factors such as the duration of the power supply, build quality of the generator, performance, portability, added features, etc. We have gone through a lot of research to make the best list. There are also some other factors that you can keep in your mind while buying a propane generator. So let’s know what those factors are:
Estimation of your power requirement with the starting and running power:
Before going to buy a propane generator, you have to calculate your required power first. You also need to keep in mind that the starting and running power of a generator varies depending on the brands and fuel type. So you should try to choose the one that has more starting power than your required power.
The size of the generator is an important consideration as it matters a lot. Because you have to place it in the limited space of your house. If you need a generator with high power to use it regularly, then you can choose a larger size generator. But if you need to use it occasionally, then you should opt for a smaller size generator.
You should try to buy a generator that has a dual fuel system. So you can choose either gasoline or propane. If the fuel system contains fuel gauge, it would be better for you to have an idea of available fuel on the tank. You should also check whether or not the generator has an automatic low fuel shut off switch.
You will get a better portability advantage if the unit has never-flat wheels and easy-to-use handles. So you should consider the factor very carefully before buying a propane generator.
You should opt for the generator that usually produces a comparatively lower level of noise. You need to check that the model doesn’t produce more than 80 dB noise so you can use the generator peacefully.
Note: We have briefly highlighted some of the factors to consider before buying a propane generator in the above section. But if you wish to know more about how to choose a generator, you can read the article here.
Propane Generator Maintaining Tips And Safety
No matter what type of generator you use, maintenance is always very important. The maintenance plays an important role in enhancing the lifespan of your propane generator. Apart from this, you will also get better performance all the time if you maintain your generator regularly. It also ensures your money gets paid off. Below are some practical instructions for you on how to maintain your propane generator. So let’s take a look at all the instructions mentioned below:
- Following the manufacturer’s maintenance guidelines properly is very effective.
- Another important maintenance aspect is inspecting the overall condition of your generator frequently.
- Timely remove worn parts or upgrade the components.
- Check the fluid levels, including coolant, fuel, engine oil, etc. regularly.
- Inspect battery, distilled water of the battery, charger, cables, etc.
- Check the exhaust system, pipe, connections, muffler, etc. frequently.
- Change air filters and fuel filters according to the necessity.
- Fix all the loose bolts, parts, wiring, and connections regularly.
- Keep the wires, spark plugs, tanks, connection points, body, etc. clean all the way.
- Go through the inspection of the inner parts of the generator often.
Note: In the above section, we have highlighted a brief explanation on how you can maintain your propane generator. But if you are willing to know more about how do you maintain a generator properly and effortlessly, you can read the article here.
Safety Tips For A Propane Generator
The safety tips are always useful to keep your generator, yourself, your children, and pets safe and protected. We care for all of your safety, so we have provided the safety tips for a propane generator. So let’s now get to know all the safety tips for your propane generator:
- Choose a well-ventilated area of your home to place your generator.
- Contact a professional in the event of the first installation or set up your generator.
- Use a cover on your generator so it cannot get a direct connection with the sun, water, and rain.
- Make sure the heat or flames cannot come to contact with the generator.
- Never run your generator while it is overloaded.
- Keep your generator out of reach for your children or pets.
Frequently Asked Questions
can a propane portable generator run on natural gas?
Are propane generators better than gas?
Are propane generators more quiet?
Can propane generator run indoors?
No matter if you want to own a generator newly or replace your existing one, you can confidently choose any of the models in the list of the best portable propane generator. If you check carefully, you will see that all the generators are trusted by a lot of users and professionals. You will rarely find any customer with dissatisfaction. So match your requirements and pick one to enjoy the power of backup power supply.
If you want us to recommend one, we will opt for Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Generator for a higher power. It has the capability to run almost everything in your home. You can also use it for outdoor purposes with the portability benefits. It gives you a longer power supply with fewer fuel costs. For the smaller necessity of power supply, we would recommend Champion 3800-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator. It comes with a very reasonable price and can deliver up to 10.5 hours of continuous power backup with a single fuel refill.