Maintaining a generator in the right way is as important as choosing the right generator. You may buy the best generator in the market, investing enough money in the hope to use it for a longer period. But your plan and hard-earned money will go in vain if you take the maintenance and servicing needs of a generator lightly. So it’s mandatory to maintain your generator and know how do you maintain a generator effectively by putting less effort. So let’s get to know some special maintenance tips.
Quick Table of Contents
Types Of Generators
Before we dive into the maintenance of the generator section, it would be better to know about the types of generators. As a result, you will be able to learn which maintenance technique you should apply to maintain different types of generators. Normally, the generators are categorized based on the fuel system, engine mechanism, application, etc. Below are the basic types of generators you will get in the market today:
The portable generators are categorized based on the portability features. This type of generator is compact in size and light in weight. So it becomes comparatively easier for you to move and handle a portable generator. You can easily use a portable generator for outdoor purposes or in a remote area. The portable generators typically run on gas or diesel fuel. You will again see different types of portable generators based on power configurations. These types of generators come handy when the grid supply fails frequently.
The inverter generators have not been around the market for so long. This type of generator has been developed using the latest technology to make the power supply safer and convenient. The inverter generators are gaining much popularity day by day because of its ability to produce electric energy by adjusting the engine speed and power requirement. So you get the right amount of power at the variable power requirement situations.
The standby generators are such types of generators that are produced to provide instant power supply with an automatic switch. This type of generator is used in emergency cases such as medical operations, financial transactions, incessant power requirements in industrial or government or home usages, etc. those that switch on your devices, medical instruments, or industrial equipment, etc. The standby generators are ready to supply power instantly anytime.
Note: If you need assistance regarding the inverter or regular generator, which is best for home use, you can read the article here to get clear ideas.
Why Generator Maintenance Is Important?
Regular and proper maintenance of the generator enhances the lifespan more than you expected. Apart from this, if you maintain the generator regularly, you get the best performance, and there is no risk of dysfunctioning or any type of issue in your generator. Moreover, the proper and regular maintenance of your generator ensures higher safety and incessant power supply.
Note: In the above section, we have explained the benefits of maintaining a generator in brief. But if you want to know about what are the advantages of an inverter generator, you can go through the article here.
How Do You Maintain A Generator?
Proper maintenance and servicing of a generator increase the lifespan a lot. Apart from this, the maintenance helps you get a smooth performance from your generator all the time. Here are the effective maintenance techniques for different types of generators so you can maintain your generator no matter which types you own:
Portable Generators Maintenance
The portable generators require frequent maintenance compared to other types of generators. This is because you carry and move this generator for different places for different purposes. The main maintenance techniques for portable generators are as following:
- Check the overall condition of the generator frequently.
- If there is anything or any parts loose, stuck, displace, or fraying, then fix that instantly.
- Go through a regular checking process to the distilled water in the battery of the generator.
- Change the lubricant oil and filters as per the instruction provided by the manufacturer.
- Clean the wires and spark plugs of your generator oftentimes.
- Make sure the bolts of the generator are in good condition and placed.
- Check the fuel tank and fuel of your generator.
- Check different inner parts of the generator annually or biannually.
Inverter Generators Maintenance
The maintenance of an inverter generator is comparatively easier than any other type of generator available in the market. You get this benefit becasue of the smaller size and compact design of this type of generator. Below are the basic maintenance procedures of the inverter generators:
- Check the overall condition of the generator quarterly or more frequently.
- Check the oil level of your generator each time you use it.
- Before you start using your generator, you should check the air filter each time.
- Change the spark plug each year or after 200 hours of use.
- Fix all the loose bolts, parts, or anything displaced or stuck.
- Check the distilled water of your generator frequently.
- Go through a regular checking process for different inner parts of your generator.
Note: If you would like to know how to choose a power inverter along with the maintenance procedures, we recommend you read the article here.
Standby Generators Maintenance
The maintenance of the standby generators is also effortless. As you place this type of generator in the same place for a long period, you don’t need to move it frequently. So there is less risk of getting any issue in the standby generators. The effective maintenance methods of maintaining a standby generator are below:
- Check the overall condition of your generator weekly (lighter check), monthly (deep check), semiannually (more deep check), annually (full check).
- Check the lubricant oil, coolant, battery charger, engine oil level frequently.
- Frequently ensure the generator is in auto mode all the time.
- Inspect air cleaner, induction pipe, and connections.
- Fix the loose bolts, parts, connections, etc
- Check the distilled water of your generator oftentimes.
- Change the air filters, spark plugs, lubricant oil as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is it safe to run a generator?
Is it OK to let a generator run out of gas?
Does a generator charge its own battery?
Do I need to use a fuel stabilizer?
Should I turn on my generator if I have not used it for a while?
After buying a generator, the most important part is you have to know how do you maintain a generator. This is mandatory for all as it allows the generator to provide a smooth performance all the way. Moreover, maintenance eliminates the risk of damage or any other issues of your generator. So if you go through this article attentively, you will be able to learn how to maintain different types of generators and how to increase their durability.